Tuesday, April 11, 2006

There's A Green Monster In My Closet

The Jays had one of those crazy-random Monday afternoon games in Boston today (what, don't people have jobs in Beantown?) and I managed to catch the tail end of it. The Jays almost kinda made it close in the top of the eighth, cutting their four run deficit to two off a Frank "Vinnie" Catalanatto homer, but really it was never going to happen. Paplebon came in and shut them down 1-2-3 in the ninth to seal the deal.

But I'm not here to complain about Jays lossing (I have a hunch that there will be ample time for that before the season's through). I noticed something funny during the game, something taht as a Toronto fan, I don't often see.

Right from the start there was this weird buzzing noise coming from the TV. I couldn't figure it out what it was for the life of me. I tried changing the channel, which seemed to stop the noise, leading me to conclude that it was not the TV that was the problem, but the game itself. Was there something wrong with Sortsnet's feed maybe? A glitch in the system?

Oh wait, my mistake. It was just the sound of a full baseball stadium, the sound of 50,000 people having a good time. My bad. It's just, when all you have is the sparsely populated Rogers Centre (formerly the SkyDome, formerly the House That Joe Built) to use as your frame of reference, the sight of every seat filled can be a little disorienting, if you know what I mean.

And another thing: How great would it have been if Josh Beckett had been up against not Josh Towers, but A.J Burnett? The ex-Marlins pitchers squaring off in a showdown to the end. Now that would have been some good baseball.

In other T.O news, the Leafs can, ahem, keep their playoff dream alive when they take on the recently eliminated Florida Panthers tonight. However, if they had any compassion for their fans, they would just put us out of our misery and lose. It would be so much easier on everybody.

The Raptors - is that eight straight now? Does anybody even care anymore? Just repeat the mantra, "think of the lottery, think of the lottery" and everything will turn out fine. Either way, they take on the Miami Heat tonight, in what should be a rather painful, one sided rout for one of the teams involved. I'll let you figure out which one I'm talking about.

Later

Jason

No comments: